Friday, December 10, 2010

[KITlist-Tech] From Sue: We lost my Dad, who was the inspiration for the KIT List, yesterday.

 

Hello Everyone,

Kelly and I lost our wonderful Dad, Bob Connelly, yesterday. Many of you
know that Kelly is my sister and she moderates the KIT List with me --
along with our dear friend Amy Plunkett. It was his example of keeping
in touch and looking out for friends that was the inspiration for the
KIT List.

I'm so thankful now that I wrote that tribute to my Dad on the blog a
few weeks ago, so that he knew how much his influence and modeling has
extended to others. If you'd like to see that blog post, it's at:
http://budurl.com/bobconnelly

His death was actually very swift and unexpected. Although he was
contending with Parkinson's, he ended up suffering a massive brain
hemorrhage that was unrelated. Thankfully, our family all made it in
time to the ER at Stanford to be by his side and say goodbye and pray.
He was a man of great faith, and our pastor rushed over to bless him
with Last Rites.

I deeply appreciate all the kind messages so many of you sent when I
posted the blog about him last month, and I tried to respond to as many
as I could.

The important thing is that I shared your comments with him, and it
really made him feel wonderful to know that his simple concept was able
to help others, too. He never complained throughout his various physical
challenges, so when said he had such a painful headache, we thought it
might be big.

I am so very sad, yet I have peace that this is God's perfect timing.
This is still so fresh since he died yesterday at 4:00, but I am
grateful for being graced with this truly incredible man in my life. He
is my hero.

He and my Mom have been the absolute best parents and their loving
marriage and great faith have been the bedrock for our family's
happiness. His last words before he became unconscious at home yesterday
was to tell my Mom how lucky he was to have married her. They had an
extraordinary marriage, which I attribute to what I call the "thousand
little kindnesses." They were so thoughtful and good to each other, and
to our whole family. A recent example was how he went to put a footrest
under my Mom's feet while at Thanksgiving, even though he was having a
harder time walking. He gave my shoulders a back rub, even though his
hands were so weak, just because I wasn't feeling great. He was still
cheerful and making jokes with the ER staff the night before he died (he
was sent home after they checked him out thoroughly and said it was just
a severe headache. I called 911 the next day, so it's important to
follow your gut).

I'm writing this to share that if you have anything you wanted to say or
do for a parent or loved one, but hadn't gotten around to it yet, I
wanted to encourage you to do it now. I am so very relieved that I got
that blog post out while he was still alive, so that he would know how
much he meant to me and to others. Time is precious, and you just never
know how short some times might be. We were lucky to have him for the
time we did, and we were prepared for a long haul with Parkinson's. My
Dad will be greatly missed by our family and friends -- he was my rock,
my biggest supporter who encouraged me, and loved and believed in his
family in the most loving way. My solace is that we will all be reunited
forever again.

I am so glad that he was able to hear from the KIT List community before
he died so suddenly. It meant a lot to him to know that his simple way
of reaching out to friends and keeping in touch over the years has had a
ripple effect.

Thank you all for the many supportive and encouraging emails over the
years, it has meant a lot to Kelly, Amy and me. This incredible
community is so very special, and knowing that we are all connected and
have the power to help each other and reach out to each other is what
it's all about.

Our time here on Earth is brief, no matter what our age. In this special
Christmas season, and for every day, I hope that you get a chance to be
with your loved ones and let them know how much they mean to you. I will
miss my Dad terribly, but I have no regrets. I'm so grateful that he
graced my life as he did.

God bless you all,

Sue

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
********************************************************************

Read the new KIT List blog at www.kitlist.wordpress.com for job tips and to connect to our community!

Please go to www.KITlist.org to join, post jobs, or get answers to common questions.  If you have any comments or questions, you can reach us directly at KITtechmoderator@KITlist.org.

By using the KIT List you agree to comply with the Terms of Use on the site, and will not use discriminatory employment practices.  The KIT List is a service of Connelly Communications, Inc.
   
TO UNSUBSCRIBE:    
Replying to KIT emails with an "unsubscribe" request does not work.
Instead, just send an email (from the same account you used to subscribe) to KITlist-Tech-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com.  If you are still receiving emails after a few days, please email us at KITtechmoderator@KITlist.org and we will manually remove you.  Thanks!
        
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment